“As a defense attorney, I offer defensive legal strategies knowing how the opposition thinks and acts.”- Carissa L. Beene, PLLC

Criminal Defense Attorney Carissa Beene

As a Defense Attorney, my passion is in assisting those who need to defend themselves against criminal charges filed in Williamson and Travis counties in Texas. While the prosecutor’s main goal is to put people in jail, as a defense attorney, mine is to keep you out. Prior to opening my firm, I worked as a student certified prosecutor at the Hennepin County Attorney’s office in Minneapolis, MN. I performed extensive work in violent crimes and narcotics felony prosecutions where I learned how prosecutors build their cases and fight legal battles. As a defense attorney, I offer defensive legal strategies knowing how the opposition thinks and acts.

I am committed to providing you with personalized service including:

  • An in-depth review of your case and options
  • An explanation of the law and how it applies to you
  • Navigation through court processes and procedures
  • Negotiation of a dismissal of charges or plea agreement with prosecution and/or representing your interests at trial

If you have been recently charged with a crime, hiring an attorney is an important first step to preserving your rights and defending your case. You need an attorney who will advise you of your rights and fight for you. Please contact my office to schedule a free consultation to review your recent arrest. The free consultation will help you determine if you are in need of an attorney and the next step that needs to be taken to resolve your legal situation.

If you or a loved one has recently been arrested, you probably have many questions about the process and what you can expect.

Georgetown Criminal Defense and County Jail

Once a person is arrested, police officers are required to file a probable cause affidavit. This affidavit outlines the elements of the offense and lets the judge know why the person was arrested. A judge or magistrate will review the affidavit and any criminal history and will set an amount of money for bail.

Bail can be paid either as cash bond, meaning the entire bail amount is paid directly to the courts. This option does not require a bond company and the bail will be returned once your case has been completed. Another option is a surety bond. To get a surety bond, you will need to contact a bail bond company. You will pay the bond company a percentage of the bond and they will pay the rest. You will be required to follow the rules of the bond company until your case is resolved. A third option is a personal bond. Personal bonds are offered through Travis County Pre-trial Services. Instead of a hefty bond amount, you will pay $20 charge to Pre-trial Services. This is an excellent option for jail release and it costs very little money. However, this process can be lengthy; Pre-trial Services will interview the person in jail regarding residence, employment, and references, contact those references, check criminal history, and contact any victims/complaining witnesses.

My firm can help. Many times the process of setting bail or obtaining a personal bond can be expedited with the help of a criminal defense attorney. Phones are answered 24 hours a day for jail release issues. Contact the Law Office of Carissa L. Beene at 512-850-0555.

Court Process

Your experience in the Travis County criminal courts will vary depending on whether you have been arrested for a misdemeanor or a felony. It is important to hire a criminal defense attorney that will guide you through the process and passionately fight for your rights.

Whether you have been released or are still in jail, you will be formally charged with the offense. This is important to your case because it allows your criminal defense attorney to get “discovery” – police reports, videos, audio recordings, photographs and any other items that the prosecution could use against you in your case. At this point, the prosecution will offer a plea deal which you can accept or you can proceed to trial.

Contact my firm today for a free consultation to discuss the details of your case.